Trivendra Rawat takes oath as the 9th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Trivendra Singh Rawat on Saturday sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand at the Parade Ground here.
Who else took oath along with Trivendra Rawat?
- Satpal Maharaj (MLA from Chaubattakhal)
- Prakash Pant (MLA from Pithoragarh)
- Harak Singh Rawat (MLA from Kotdwar)
- Madan Kaushik (MLA from Haridwar)
- Arvind Pandey (MLA from Gadarpur)
- Yashpal Arya (MLA from Bajpur (SC))
- Subodh Uniyal (MLA from Narendranagar)
Ministers of State
- Rekha Arya (MLA from Someshwar)
- Dhan Singh Rawat (MLA from Srinagar)
Also Read: Trivendra Singh Rawat elected as the new CM of Uttarakhand
The ministers who took oath include three Thakur, four Brahmin and two Dalit leaders.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP President Amit Shah are among the several other dignitaries who marked their presence during the oath taking ceremony of Rawat and few other ministers.
BJP's central observer for the election Narendra Singh Tomar had made an official announcement about Rawat's election as the CM after the legislature party meeting held at a hotel here on Friday.
Rawat's name for the prominent post was proposed by Prakash Pant and Satpal Maharaj, MLAs from Pithoragarh and Chaubattakhal respectively, who were backed by a host of other legislators.
BJP registered a clear majority with 57 seats in the 70-member Uttarakhand Assembly.
Also Read: LIVE: Hunt for new UP CM; Suspense continues amid cheering BJP workers
About Trivendra Rawat:
- Rawat had been an RSS activist from 1983 to 2002.
- Rawat is currently serving as the national general secretary of the BJP
- He has been the blue-eyed of party’s National president Amit Shah.
- 56-year-old Rawat was made the in-charge of BJP’s Jharkhand Unit during 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
- He had served as the state agricultural minister from 1997 to 2002.
- Rawat is post-graduate in History and has diploma degree journalism from Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University.
- As per the affidavit submitted to EC, he holds assets worth more than a crore.
- His name was involved in a seed scam held in the state. Rawat, however, said that was a conspiracy by the Congress government to malign his image and he will file a defamation suit against those behind it.