Seema Antil Punia qualifies for Rio Olympics 2016
New Delhi: After the departure of Mary Com and S.Devi, India has got a reason to smile as Indian discus thrower Seema Antil Punia has won gold at the Young Thrower’s Classic in Calfornia and has qualified for the upcoming Rio Olympics on Sunday.
- She surpassed the Olympics qualification mark of 61 metres by registering a throw of 62.62 metres.
- The 32-year old overpowered 2008 women's Olympic champion Stephanie Trafton.
- Trafton won silver with a throw of 60.50 metres in the contest.
Several other facts about discus thrower Seema Antil Punia-
- Previously, Punia had shined in the Asian Games 2014 by winning gold.
- She also won silver at Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014.
- In 2004 and 2012 Olympics, Seema had represented the nation.
The much-anticipated tournament of 2016 Rio Olympics is scheduled to take place from August 5 to August 21.