Sarbananda Sonowal likely to be the next BJP CM of Assam
Assam: BJP leader Sarbananda Sonowal is likely to be the next Chief Minister of Assam.
Sonowal, 53, said he is confident of forming government in Assam, and is aiming at 84 of Assam's 140 seats.
- The politician started his political journey with All Assam Student Union (AASU) and was made the Union President in 1992.
- He was selected as Member of Assam’s Legislative Assembly in the year 2001.
- Sonowal became the Lok Sabha member for the first time in year 2004, defeating former union minister Pawan Singh Ghatowar.
- He joined Bhartiya Janata Party in February 2011 and was made the State President in 2012.
- Sonowal, fought a long battle in Supreme Court and succeeded to nullify the ‘Illegal Immigrants Act, 1983’ in 2005.
- Sonowal was declared as the Chief Minister candidate of Assam by BJP Parliamentary Board on January 28, 2016.
- Birth: October 31, 1962
- Education: LLB from Dibrugarh University and BCJ from Gowhati University.
- 1992-1999: President of All Assam Students Union
- 2001: Solowal joined Assam Gana Parishan
- 2001-2004: Elected as the member of Assam legislative assembly from Moraan Constituency.
- 2004: He was elected as the Member of Parliament in 14th Lok Sabha from Dibrugarh constituency.
- 2005: Sonowal was included in the advisory board under the Home Ministry.
- 2006: Sonowal was elected as the member of advisory board of Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- 2011: He was made the executive member of Bhartiya Janata Party and was also elected as the General Secretary and spokesperson of BJP in Assam.
- 2012: The politician was elected as the State President of Bhartiya Janata Party.
- 2014: The BJP leader was made the party chief during the Lok Sabha elections and as elected as the MP from Lakhimpur. He was also elected as the cabinet minister (Independent charge).
- 2016: Sonowal was declared as the Chief Minister candidate of BJP in Assam assembly elections.
Click the links below to get more updates of the elections: