Operation Jawaharbagh: Gunfight kills SHO and SP, injures 11
Mathura: It took around two long years and life of a cop to vacate the Jawaharbagh area of Mathura district from a group of activists of Baba Jai Gurudev, who claimed themselves to be members of Azad Bharat Vidhik Vaicharik Kranti Satyagrahi.
Jawaharbagh area turned battle field with rounds of gunfire being exchanged between police and a group of violent mob, resulting into the killing of Station Officer Farah, Santosh Kumar Yadav and Superintendent of police (SP) Mukul Dwivedi. 11 other policemen were also injured in the gunfight.
What Akhilesh Yadav said:
- UP CM has announced an ex-gratia of 20 lakh rupees for the families of deceased.
- CM ordered ADG (Law & Order) Daljit Singh Choudhary to reach the spot.
- He has ordered strict action against all those involved in the clash.
What ADG said:
- Police have taken the situation under control.
- A manhunt was launched by the police for people involved in clashes.
What is the matter?
- Operation Jawaharbagh began to vacate sprawling acres of land from the activists of Baba Jai Gurudev.
- Activists had reportedly occupied the land on the pretext of 'dharna' for over two years.
- Activists retaliated to police action with gunshots resulting into violent clash.
UP Director General of Police (DGP) Javeed Ahmed's Tweet:
UPP police lost two brave officers today in the line of duty. My salutations to them. We shall always remember their supreme sacrifice
— Javeed (@javeeddgpup) June 2, 2016