PM Narendra Modi flags off Run for Rio from Dhyanchand stadium
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday morning flagged off ‘Run for Rio’ from Major Dhyanchand National stadium near India Gate in Delhi.
“Every Indian athlete has worked hard to get here. They will surely bring laurels for the nation by giving their best,” Modi said. Adding, ‘Let every district of India affirm that at least one athlete from our district will represent India at the 2020 games’.
- I am sure that our athletes will win hearts of the world.
- Indian athlete will show the world what India is about.
- The sports that we do not indulge in, youngsters can be trained to excel in such sports till the next Olympics.
- During our term in office so far, we have focussed tremendously on sports.
- As per norms, players are taken to the venue two days before the start of every games.
- This time we have sent the contingent in advance, so that players are familiar with local conditions.
- The government allotted special funds to provide the players Indian food in Rio for their utmost comfort.
- Both players and officers will get equal allowances this year.
- The government of India has spent between 30 lakhs to 1.5 crore on each player.
- A budget of Rs 125 crores was made for this.
- Our athlete will unfurl the Indian flag in Rio.
PM flags off the Run for Rio in Delhi. Wishes our athletes the very best. Watch. https://t.co/BlTCRspIjE
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) 31 July 2016