Muzaffarnagar gang-rape cases should be expedited, says SC
New Delhi: In a bid to provide long-awaited justice to women gang-raped during Muzaffarnagar riots, the Supreme Court on Monday ordered the district judge to conclude the concerned cases as soon as possible.
- SC asked the district judge to expedite the trial in gang-rape cases.
- Referring to a petition filed by the victims, the Court said these cases had already taken more than the normal time taken in such cases.
- SC also said the victims were being mentally harassed which was condemnable.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has told the SC that the HC was granting bails to the accused.
- It may be mentioned that as many as five such cases, involving 22 accused, were on trial in the district court of Muzaffarnagar while the hearing on one of the cases was stayed by the Allahabad High Court.