Maya-Jaya lock horn over Bulandshahr case in Rajya Sabha
Lucknow: The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati on Wednesday escalated attack on the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) of Uttar Pradesh in the Rajya Sabha saying the law and order situation in the state was at its lowest ebb.
“Women and daughters are not safe in Uttar Pradesh. Incidents of rape, gang-rape have become order of the day and the atrocities on the fairer sex is on a ‘all time high’,” Mayawati said in Rajya Sabha while condemning horrific gang rape on mother-daughter duo in Bulandshahr district on June 30 last.
Holding the Uttar Pradesh government responsible for the rise in crime against women, Mayawati stressed the need of some emergent measures to check it considering total failure of the state machinery.
Intervening, SP Rajya Sabha member Jaya Bachchan also sought permission from the speaker for a discussion on the issue. She argued why only Mayawati alone being allowed to speak on the issue while other also have points to make.
In fact, Jaya Bachchan wanted to defend the Samajwadi Party government amid onslaught of Mayawati.
The Bulandshahr incident:
- A woman and her daughter were dragged out of their car.
- They were gang-raped by a group of five men in the fields.
- Male members of the family were held hostage.
- Criminals also robbed cash, mobile, jewellery and other valuables from them.
- The incident happened on July 30 last on National Highway-91.
- The family was returning to Noida from Bulandshahr.
- Seven policemen including Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) of Bulandshahr had been suspended in this case.
- Three culprits have been sent to a jail. Click here to know more about this case
The Bareilly incident:
- A teacher was abducted on NH-24 on Tuesday.
- She was gang-raped by a group of three men.
- Criminals recorded the scene on their mobile phones.