Mamta Banerjee makes a clean sweep in West Bengal
Kolkata: She walks in a pair of hawai slippers, wears a white cotton saree and carries a jhola hanging from her shoulder . She does not like to be called a madame or anything formal, just call her Didi. This is Mamta Banerjee. She is slated to become chief minister of West Bengal for the second time.. President of Trinamool Congress she has ended the left party rule after 34 years.
Mamta has faced the harsh realities since her childhood. She lost her freedom fighter father at an early age and became a milkseller to support her mother and her siblings .
Raising a new slogan,‘Ma, Mati o Manush’, she is an excellent speaker. Having no lust for wealth,She donated rupees 19 lakhs in the year 2007-08 which she earned from her painting auction. Out of her busy schedule she spares some time daily for workout. She is also a fine poetess.
How she entered politics
Graduated from ‘Jogesh Chandra Chodhary Law College’, she started her political career as president of the Youth Congress of WB. After a long struggle for 13 years, she succeeded in uprooting the leftist from West Bengal.she is the first woman CM of West Bengal.
- Started in 1970
- President of the state women’s Congress between 1976 and 1980
- Won over Somnath Chatterjee of the Marxist Communist Party in 1984
- Lost 1989 Lok Sabha elections due to an anti-Congress wave.
- Won the Lok Sabha elections in 1991, 96, 98, 99, 2004 and 2009.
- Took the charge of Human Resource Minister in the P.V. Narsimharao government.
- Resigned from the post in 1993
- Took the charge of rail ministry in 2002
- Won the Lok Sabha elections in 2004
- Allied with the Congress in 2009
- Started the Duronto Express
Known for struggles
Being a cabinet minister, she had to also bear police laathicharge at a rally in West Bengal. She has also came into limelight for grabbing the collars of Samajwadi Party minister Daroga Prasad Rai.