Top

Indians attacked in Congo after Congolese boy’s murder in Delhi

Newstrack

NewstrackBy Newstrack

Published on 27 May 2016 12:16 AM GMT

Indians attacked in Congo after Congolese boy’s murder in Delhi
X
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print

New Delhi: After a Congolese national M K Oliver was brutally killed in Delhi, shops of some of the Indians in Democratic Republic of the Congo were attacked in retaliation, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Thursday.

“In what appears as a backlash following the lynching of a Congo national last week, Indians have been injured in clashes while their shops have been attacked in the country,” said the foreign ministry spokesperson Vikas Swarupanand and added, “our embassy in Congo is in touch with local authorities and the things have calmed down now.”

“Oliver along with his friend Samuel had gone to see another friend. While they were on their way back, he flagged down an auto-rickshaw which stopped a few metres away. Subsequently, it was boarded by three other men before he could do it. Following an argument, Oliver was hit on head with a brick and succumbed to his injury,” said the Eritrean ambassador Alem Tsehaye Woldmariam.

Highlights:

  • 23-year-old Oliver was bludgeoned to death in Vasant Kunj area of south Delhi on May 20.
  • The African diplomatic community decided not to celebrate Africa day this year, seeking strong action by Indian government.
  • “This was an unfortunate and painful incident involving local goons,” said external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj.
  • Swaraj also said the Union minister will meet the mission heads of African countries to assure them of Indian government’s commitment to the security of African nationals in our country.

Newstrack

Newstrack

Next Story