Haryana Jat agitation spills over to UP, 'Band' peaceful
Muzaffarnagar: The 'Western UP Bandh' call given by the Jats in support of Haryana agitation demanding reservation passed off peacefully though the blockage of National Highway-24 and Yamuna Expressway left thousands of vehicles stranded for few hours throwing traffic out of gear.
The markets in Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Saharanpur, Baghpat, Ghaziabad and Greater Noida were closed from 1100 hours to 1300 hours in support to the Jat agitation. No untoward incident or unrest during the protest was reported, said Director General of Police (DGP) Javeed Ahmed.
“Instructions have been given to the Inspector General (IG) Meerut zone to ensure safety of the people and property and maintain law and order,” Ahmed told Newztrack.com.
Situation so far:
- Sarva Khaap Chaudharies, on Saturdayhad given the Band call from 1100 hrs to 1300 hrs.
- Agitators blocked Delhi-Dehradun National Highway-58 for two hours.
- Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) led by Rakesh Tikait protested by blocking the Mansoorpur highway.
- Bahujan Samaj Party supremo Mayawati on Sunday supported the Jat reservation.
- BKU was already supporting the cause.