Court refuses permission for abortion to minor rape victim in UP
Bareilly: Adding up to the agony of a seven-month pregnant rape victim, a fast track court in Bareilly district of Uttar Pradesh refused permission for her abortion on Saturday.
The 14-year-old victim’s family is worried about her wedding after the court’s decision. “Who will accept my daughter as the child is to be born out of wedlock and I cannot feed her anymore,” said the victims’s father.
It may be mentioned that the girl was repeatedly raped by one Asif on the pretext of marrying her. Subsequently, the culprit abandoned her after she conceived.
What else the victim’s father said:
- The police in the First Information Report (FIR) claimed that my daughter is an adult while her school records clearly show that she is still a minor.
- We would have aborted the child had the police cooperated with us.
- I immediately rushed to the police station as I came to know about my daughter’s pregnancy.
- The police had taken weeks to lodge an FIR in this connection.
- It was too late by the time we could reach the court with an appeal for the abortion.