Court declares Mallya a proclaimed offender on ED's request
New Delhi: Beleaguered liquor king, Vijay Mallya has been declared as a proclaimed offender under Section 82 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) by a special court for Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) on Friday.
Court pronounced its judgement after Mallya failed to appear before the court today.
How will this affect Mallya?
- Vijay Mallya’s domestic properties can now be seized by the probe agencies
- Probe agency may also seek for the attachment of his properties overseas
Court’s order came on ED’s request:
- Enforcement Directorate (ED) is investing an alleged money laundering case of Rs 950 crore against Vijay Mallya
- The money was raised by Kingfisher head honcho from IDBI bank for now-defunctional Kingfisher Airlines
- ED requested the court to announce him a proclaimed offender after he failed to appear before the court