UP Elections: Congress leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi joins BJP
In a shock to the Congress the party Member of Legislative Assembly from Uttar Pradesh leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi has joined Bhartiya Janata Party. According to sources close to her, Joshi was disappointed for being neglected by the grand old party. She joined the BJP in the presence of its Chief Amit Shah in the national capital
New Delhi: In a shock to the Congress the party Member of Legislative Assembly from Uttar Pradesh leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi has joined Bhartiya Janata Party. "I took this step for the sake of my country. Reactions from senior Congress leaders over the surgical strike shocked me and it was disappointing to listen insensitive remarks from Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi," said the Congress leader after joining the Party. According to sources close to her, Joshi was also disappointed for being neglected by the grand old party.
She joined the BJP in the presence of its Chief Amit Shah in the national capital.
What Joshi said:
- It was not an easy decision for me but I took this step for the sake of nation.
- I have a 27-year-old political career of which I gave 24 years to Congress.
- I was shocked and hurt by the reaction of senior Congress leaders to the Surgical strike.
- The entire world believed that the step taken was apt accept few in our own country.
- I appreciate the step taken by the Premiere and salute our soldiers for carrying out the unflinching strike.
- I agree that parties can have different ideologies but we should forget all differences and unite when it comes to security and integrity of the nation.
- For the development of Uttar Pradesh it was important to remove both the Samajwadi Party and the Bahujan Samaj Party and only the BJP can do that.
In Slides: Read what Joshi said about Rahul Gandhi and PK....
Joshi attacks Rahul Gandhi and Prashant Kishore:
- The politician praised Congress President Sonia Gandhi for her democratic approach to the party members but attacked party VP Rahul Gandhi and said that he was the sole reason for the deteriorating condition of the party.
- ''She was more democratic in her functioning'', said Joshi. She further added, "Whether she took your point or not, at least heard you out."
- Expressing her displeasure with Party's poll strategist Prashant Kishore, the politician said, "A poll manager cannot replace a leader."
- She also said that not just herself, "several senior party leaders were also upset that feedback from grass root leaders was being ignored."
Read ahead: What UPCC Chief Raj Babbar said about Joshi's departure...
What Raj Babbar stated:
- The party chief in Uttar Pradesh, Raj Babbar said, Congress will remain unaffected by the departure of Rita Bahuguna Joshi.
- "Earlier her brother had also left the party and joined hands with the BJP. The party had not been affected then and it will not get affected this time too", said Babbar.
Read in next Slide: About Rita Bahuguna Joshi....
About Rita Bahuguna Joshi:
- Joshi was a legislator from Lucknow Cantt Constituency of the state of UIttar Pradesh. She was elected as the MLA in 2012 state elections.
- The leader had also served as the President of Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee from year 2007 to year 2012.
- Joshi's elder brother Vijay Bahuguna is also a member of Bhartiya Janata Party and was the former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
- Joshi also contested for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Lucknow but lost.
- Daughter of former UP Chief Minister Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna, Joshi has held the post of mayor of Allahabad from year 1995 to year 2000.
- Joshi is the former vice-president of the National Council of Women and has also been the President of the All India Mahila Congress since 2003 and had been awarded the 'Most Distinguished Women in South Asia.'
The leader had also been jailed:
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi had been detained for allegedly making derogatory remarks about the former UP CM Mayawati and had also been sent on a 14 day judicial custody to Moradabad.