Lightning damages 500-year-old Kashi Karvat temple of Varanasi
Varanasi: The pinnacle of 500-year-old historical Kashi Karvat temple of Varanasi was damaged after it was struck by lightning on Saturday night.
None was injured in the incident.
Compared to leaning tower of Pisa:
- The temple is inclined towards holy river Ganga like leaning tower of Pisa.
- The temple is also famous as Ratneshwar Mahadev.
- The temple remains underwater for more than six months in a year.
- The temple is inclined is still a mystery.
History of the temple:
- Anecdotes have it that the temple was constructed during 15th -16th century.
- The temple is constructed at Scindia ghat and artists from Rajasthan and across India were called to give it an aesthetic look.
- That was the time when kings along with their families used to visit Kashi (now Varanasi).
- Several Mahals and Temple were built then.