YOGA practitioners in India observe 30% rise: ASSOCHAM Survey
Lucknow: Several campaigns and Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiatives towards promoting Yoga in the country have worked wonders as gymnasiums across metros reported a rise of 30 per cent in the number of people embracing yoga lessons during the course of past one year.
People from 10 metros - Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi-NCR, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow and Mumbai participated in a survey conducted by ASSOCHAM Social Development Foundation.
Findings in the ASSOCHAM survey
- ASSOCHAM representatives interacted with 100 gym trainers/fitness professionals
- Survey was conducted in wake of the International Yoga Day celebrated globally on June 21
- Nearly 1,000 people were asked to ascertain which is a better workout regime – Gym or Yoga?
- Gym regulars find YOGA a better workout regime to increase flexibility, toning and strengthening
- Gym lovers said that YOGA benefits them in meditation and breathing exercises
- Survey found an increase by 50 per cent in females practicing Yoga
- Nearly 25-30 per cent increase in yoga practitioners during past one year
Percentage rise in YOGA practitioners in Lucknow
- ASSOCHAM included gymnasiums and yoga studios in Lucknow in the survey
- Lucknow witnessed a rise of nearly 45 per cent in Yoga practitioners
- Majority of people shifting to Yoga from GYM are women
How Yoga helping people?
- People included in the survey said that Yoga helped them from getting rid of addictions
- Yoga combats lower back pain, diabetes, improved digestion and even aging
- People said that Yoga works as a major stress relief
Yoga increasing business opportunities
- DS Rawat, Secretary General of ASSOCHAM said that YOGA has mounted business opportunities in India
- Nearly 4cr people practice Yoga across country who spent about Rs 1000cr on various accessories including yoga-wear, mats and towels