Name change trend in India: Is Shimla the next target?
Lucknow: After Gurgaon changed to Gurugram, it seems that a trend of name changing has started in the country. The move by BJP government has also inspired Vishwa Hindu Parishad(VHP) to ask for renaming Shimla to Shyamla.
Although the request has been rejected by the state Cheif Minister Virbhadra Singh, it has not stopped the Hindu outfit from justifying their views.
Views of Vishwa Hindu Parishad:
- The reason given by he VHP in favour of changing the capital's name is more mythological than historical.
- Manoj Singh, general secretary of the VHP’s state unit says the continuation of 'Shimla’ as a name is a sign of abeyance to British rule in sovereign and independent India.
- Manoj Singh, general secretary of the VHP’s state unit supported the demand by stating that the name 'Shimla’ is derived from the Hindu Goddess Shyamala Devi who is an incarnation of Kali.
Views of Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh:
- The Chief Minister said that Shimla should remain Shimla because of its internationally acclaimed status and history.
- He said that the Himachal Pradesh capital has created its own brand as popular tourist destinations and thus, should remain with the same name so that it could be easily identified.
- If we keep changing names just for the heck of it, there will be no end to it," stated the CM.