Verdict on women entry in Haji Ali to be pronounced on June 28
Mumbai: The judgement on Public Interest Litigation (PIL) challenging the decision to ban the entry of women in the sanctum sanctorum of the historic Haji Ali Dargah, will be pronounced, by the Mumbai Court, on June 28.
The petition was filed by a local Raju More against the ban on entry of women inside the sanctum sanctorum irrespective of their age.
What Haji Ali trust said:
The trustees of the Dargah had told the court earlier that entry of women in close proximity to the grave of a male Muslim saint is considered as a grievous sin in Islam.
What Raju More’s petition states:
Petitioner Raju More, has given the petition contending that as per Haji Ali’s website, no one is buried inside the tomb, hence, it is not a graveyard of a saint.
“Since the website of the Dargah states that there is no grave inside the tomb, no women should be banned from offering prayers inside it,” said the petitioner.
The Mumbai Court will pronounce its final verdict on June 28.