Two BSF jawans killed in encounter with Maoists in Chattisgarh
Raipur: Two Border Security Force (BSF) jawans, on Friday night, were martyred and four others injured in an ongoing encounter with Maoists near Chhotebethiya-Pankhanjore jungle axis of the Maoist violence-hit area in Kanker district of Chattisgarh.
"The encounter broke out early today between a Border Security Force patrol and armed Naxal contingent,” BSF officials said.
- The fierce gun-battle broke out after an anti-Naxal operation was launched by a joint squad of BSF’s 117th and 122nd battalion along with the district force.
- Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) of Kanker district Jayant Vaishnav said that the Naxals open fired on the security forces when they reached near a river in the opaque forest of Becha village."
- Four out of the six BSF jawans sustained serious injuries and are stated to be in critical conditions.
- They have been shifted to Ramkrishna Care Hospital in Raipur in a chopper.
- The remaining two succumbed to their injuries while being airlifted.
- The deceased jawans were identified as Vijay Kumar and Rakesh Nehra.
- The injured ones are Manoj Kumar, S Thomson, Jagdish K and Bappa D.
- The encounter is underway.