SC refused to hear bail plea of Kanhaiya Kumar
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday refused to hear the bail plea of Kanhaiya Kumar, the Jawaharlal Nehru University Students Union (JNUSU) president, who was arrested allegedly for raising anti-national slogans.
The Apex court directed him to move his bail application in the matter Delhi High Court. The court felt that hearing Kanhaiya's bail plea may open floodgates for such applications in the future. The court agreed that hearing of Kanhaiya’s bail plea may not be possible at the Patiala House Court and that he may approach the High Court.
What the Supreme Court said:
- Directed Centre and Delhi Police to ensure the safety of Kanhaiya.
- There is no problem in appearing at Patiala House court once enough security is provided.
What is JNU row?
- Some students recently commemorated the death anniversary of terrorist Afzal Guru in the university.
- Anti-national slogans were raised during the programme.
- Blows were exchanged when students of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) opposed the raising of anti-India slogans.