SC lifts stay over CBI probe in Bulandshahr gang-rape case
New Delhi: Modifying its earlier order, the Supreme Court on Thursday lifted the stay over a CBI probe in the brutal gang-rape of woman and her teen daughter in Bulandshahr district in Uttar Pradesh.
The apex court had in August stayed the CBI probe in the case.
Court notice to Uttar Pradesh government:
- Apex Court decision came after CBI approached the court asking it to vacate its stay in the ongoing probe.
- SC issued notice to state government over the gang-rape victims’ plea of transferring the case out of the state.
- Notice also has been issued to UP Cabinet Minister Azam Khan who described the heinous crime as political conspiracy.
What is the case?
- Mother and daughter were dragged outside of their car and gang-raped on the intervening night of 29-30 July by a group of robbers in Bulandshahr district.
- The incident happened near Dostpur village on NH-91.
- The victims were on their way from Noida to Shahjahanpur along with other family members.