Ramban tunnel collapse: Five bodies found so far, five labourers still missing
Senior Ramban district police officer Mohita Sharma told news agency ANI rescue ops would continue till all bodies are found.
Three more bodies have been recovered from the debris of an under-construction tunnel that collapsed in Jammu and Kashmir's Ramban on Thursday. At least 10 labourers were trapped after a section of a tunnel on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway caved-in, triggering large-scale rescue ops by teams of police, the Army and state and national disaster response forces.
Earlier today a senior district police officer told ANI a body (the second) had been spotted under a boulder and heavy machines were deployed to remove the rock and retrieve the corpse.
"One more body was seen… machines have been (used) to remove the boulder… we are nearing the end of this rescue op," Mohita Sharma, Senior Superintendent of Police (Ramban), said.
adding that those could be rescued would be saved and all bodies would be recovered.
The first body - a labourer from Bengal - was found on Friday.
The audit tunnel of T3 on the highway near Khooni Nallah in Ramban district caved in at the start of work at 10.15 pm on Thursday.
Rescue work began immediately but was briefly suspended yesterday because of 'shooting stones - large and small rocks and debris that come hurtling down a hillside due to landslides or other inclement weather conditions.
The debris was the result of a nearby landslide - part of a mountain in the Makerkote area collapsed and forced a temporary break in rescue operations.
The collapse was captured on camera in a video posted by news agency ANI.
Mussarat Islam, Ramban development commissioner, told ANI that incident was unexpected and that up to 17 hours of rescue work had been affected. Two heavy machines were also trapped.
Of the trapped labourers four - Jadav Roy (23), Gautam Roy (22), Sudhir Roy (31), Dipak Roy (33) and Parimal Roy (38) - are from Bengal, two - Muzaffar (38) and Israt (30) - are from J&K and one – Shiva Chouhan (26) is from Assam. Nawaraj Chowdhury (26) and Kushi Ram (25) - are from Nepal
J&K lieutenant governor Manoj Sinha is overseeing operations from a control room, PTI reported.
- Koffee With Karan 7 trailer: Samantha Ruth Prabhu blames Karan Johar for 'unhappy marriages', Sara Ali Khan roasts ex
- 'PM has not actually understand MGNREGA', says Rahul Gandhi in Kerala
- PM Modi lands in Hyderabad for key party meeting
- Sena's Rajan Salvi files papers for Maha speaker
- Amravati chemist killed for supporting Nupur Sharma? Amit Shah orders NIA to probe case
- CBSE Board Results 2022 DATE: Class 10th, 12th term- 2 results at cbseresults.nic.in on this DATE - Check update
- Gold price today, July 2: Gold rates go up by Rs 930, Check gold rate in your city
- Power must be held by patriots, not traitors, says Xi Jinping in Hong Kong
- Shruti Haasan spills the beans on her marriage plans; Find out
- It's time to serve up some big incentives to curb obesity