Top

Home Minister assures safety of tourists stranded in Havelock

It may be recalled that over 1,500 tourists were stranded at two famous tourist destinations in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, namely, Neil and Havelock, since Wednesday last due to heavy downpour. Navy ships were also deployed for the evacuation of the stranded people, but they were unable to reach

Arnima Dwivedi

Arnima DwivediBy Arnima Dwivedi

Published on 8 Dec 2016 4:00 AM GMT

Home Minister assures safety of tourists stranded in Havelock
X
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print

New Delhi: Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday said that all tourists stranded on Havelock Island in the Andaman and Nicobar were safe and all arrangements have been made by the government to evacuate them.

The Home Minister took to twitter to inform that the government would launch rescue operations on the island as soon as the intensity of the cyclone reduces. He further stated, "The rescue team had already reached Port Blair and was set to start the evacuation process."

It may be recalled that over 1,500 tourists were stranded at two famous tourist destinations in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, namely, Neil and Havelock, since Wednesday last due to heavy downpour. Navy ships were also deployed for the evacuation of the stranded people, but they were unable to reach the destination due to the high intensity of the cyclone.

What Rajnath Singh tweeted:

https://twitter.com/rajnathsingh/status/806693835791286276

https://twitter.com/rajnathsingh/status/806694173063712768

https://twitter.com/rajnathsingh/status/806693616756412416

https://twitter.com/rajnathsingh/status/806694765848829952

Flights waive off cancellation charges for travel to and from Havelock:

  • Government-owned Air India and budget carrier IndiGo have said that they have waived all cancellations, rescheduling and other related charges for travel to and from Port Blair.
  • Air India has decided to cancel charges for travel to the Island between December 6 and December 9.
  • IndiGo said that it would not impose any charge for its flights to the region for Wednesday and Thursday.
  • No disruptions were noticed in IndiGo's schedule so far despite of the hazardous situation on the island.

Also Read: Navy launches rescue operation on Andaman and Nicobar island

What airlines said:

Air-India--

  • "In view of the inclement weather conditions resulting in inconvenience to stranded tourists, applicable penalties of re-issuance, date change, no-show, cancellation and refund charges for travel to and from Port Blair stand waived on all tickets issued on or before December 7 for the travel period between December 6 and 9."

IndiGo--

  • "For December 7 and 8, IndiGo has waived all cancellation and change fees for all passengers flying to and from Port Blair who may wish to change their flights due to heavy rainfalls at Andaman and Nicobar island."
  • "We are constantly assessing the situation and will extend the relief to affected passengers till required.

You may also read: 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck Indonesian island, 25 dead

Arnima Dwivedi

Arnima Dwivedi

A journalist, presently working as a sub-editor with newstrack.com. I love exploring new genres of humans and humanity.

Next Story