Rae Bareli Boiler Blast: Death toll rises to 32; NTPC plant shut down

Shobhit Kalra

Shobhit KalraBy Shobhit Kalra

Published on 3 Nov 2017 2:34 AM GMT

Rae Bareli Boiler Blast: Death toll rises to 30; NTPC plant shut down
X
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

Rae Bareli: The death toll in the NTPC boiler blast here in Uttar Pradesh rose to 30 on Thursday, with more injured workers succumbing to their burn injuries. Power producer NTPC shut down the 500 MW unit following the accident.

Nine of the injured in the boiler blast are to be shifted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi, an official said on Thursday.

Three senior officials of the NTPC who suffered critical injuries are being flown in an air ambulance to Medanta Hospital in Gurugram.

NTPC Boiler Blast: NHRC issues notice to Yogi government

Doctors warned the toll was likely to rise as more than a dozen contractual labourers were battling for life with more than 90 per cent burn wounds.

On Thursday, contractual labourers at the Feroze Gandhi Unchahar Thermal Power Station here raised slogans against the NTPC management. They claimed they had warned about an impending disaster at unit six as the temperature near the furnace had been steadily rising.

The NTPC has launched a probe into the incident, which it said took place due to "excess ash deposition" in the furnace. The state government has ordered a magisterial probe.

District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar Khatri said that the number of injured in the Wednesday tragedy at the state-run National Thermal Power Corp (NTPC) plant stood at 64.

The massive explosion took place in a 500 MW unit in Unchahar town on the Lucknow-Allahabad highway. Many were trapped when a fire erupted in the boiler and a huge ball of dust rose after the blast, making the rescue operations difficult.

No human negligence behind boiler blast: Shrikant Sharma

The Uttar Pradesh government has announced Rs 2 lakh each to the families of the dead, Rs 50,000 each to the critically injured and Rs 25,000 to those who suffered minor injuries. They will all get free treatment at government hospitals.

Angry locals and family members of the injured alleged that there was a complete absence of medical facilities at the NTPC campus, which pushed up the number of casualties.

Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Dinesh Sharma called on the injured at the district hospital.

Meanwhile, Union Power Minister R.K. Singh visited the site and denied claims by some political leaders and families of the dead that human negligence was to blame for the boiler blast.

"I have seen everything during my physical inspection of the accident scene and I can say that there is no human negligence in the unfortunate incident," Singh told reporters, after visiting the accident site along with state Power Minister Shrikant Sharma.

He also announced that the Central government has decided to give financial assistance of Rs 20 lakh to the families of the deceased and Rs 10 lakh each to the critically injured, while those who sustained minor injuries would get Rs 2 lakh each, the Union Minister announced.

Rahul Gandhi meets kin of NTPC blast victims in Rae Bareli

This compensation would be in addition to the ex-gratia and financial assistance announced by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.

The state-run NTPC has also announced a financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of the dead. The Prime Minister's Relief Fund will also give Rs 2 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased.

Minister R.K. Singh said the priority of the government, both at the Centre and the state, was to save as many lives as possible, provide them best, prompt and adequate treatment.

Singh also said that NTPC's Unchahar unit was among the best in the country and that rumours that there was extra load on it or that it was under pressure to increase production were unfounded and baseless.

How and why the accident happened would be conclusively found and detailed in the probe ordered by the Ministry which would be completed in 30 days, he added.

Shobhit Kalra

Shobhit Kalra

Writer has 10 years of experience in digital media. Presently working as Chief Sub Editor at newstrack.com. An avid reader and always willing to learn new things and techniques.

Next Story