Race Course Road changed to Lok Kalyan Marg
New Delhi: The address of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been changed. The street in Delhi where the Indian PM lives will no longer be known as Race Course Road. Dedicating it to public welfare, the Indian government has renamed the RCR as ‘Lok Kalyan Marg’ on Wednesday.
Meenakshi Lekhi, BJP Member of Parliament and a member of Delhi Municipal council said, "There is nothing bigger than Lok Kalyan (public welfare). Everybody rose above politics and took a united decision to rename the road."
Lekhi had sent a letter to the government stating that the name Race Course Road does not match with Indian culture.
Another name was suggested for RCR:
- It may be mentioned that a name ‘Ekatma Marg’ had also been suggested for the famous street of the national capital.
- The suggestion was borrowed from the BJP icon Deen Dayal Upadhyaya’s philosophy of ‘integral humanism’
Name change trend:
- One of Delhi's most elite addresses Aurangzeb Road near RCR was also renamed earlier last year for paying tribute to former president APJ Abdul Kalam. The name change which was recommended by another BJP leader Mahesh Giri had attracted many mixed reactions from historians and opposition leaders.
- The recent name change of Gurgaon to Gurugram again led to the government face criticisms.
- Another suggestion of naming Akbar road to Maharana Pratap Marg was also made but it was ignored by the government.