President Mukherjee sacks Arunachal Pradesh Governor Rajkhowa
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday removed the Arunachal Pradesh Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa after he had refused to step down from his post.
The Governor of Meghalaya V Shanmuganathan has been given the additional charge, said a Rashtrapati Bhavan communiqué.
What was in the President’s order?
- Pranab Mukherjee directed that Rajkhowa shall cease to hold the office of Arunachal Pradesh Governor.
- President appointed V Shanmuganathan, the Governor of Meghalaya, to discharge the additional functions of the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
What is the case?
- During the rule of National Democratic Alliance government, Rajkhowa was appointed as the Governor of the state.
- The former chief secretary of Assam, Rajkhowa had made headlines after he decided to prepone the Arunachal Pradesh Assembly session from January 14, 2016 to December 16, 2015.
- The move was aimed to conduct a floor test of the then Naabam Tuki government.
- The Congress government, however, had resisted holding the Assembly session.
- Supreme Court in July 2016 ordered the restoration of Congress government in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The court then suggested that Governor cannot interfere in the activities of the assembly.