PM Modi condoles Mumbai stampede deaths
Mumbai: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday extended his condolences over the death of 22 commuters who were killed in a stampede on a footover bridge connecting the Parel-Elphinstone Road stations of Western Railway here.
"My deepest condolences to all those who have lost their lives due to the stampede in Mumbai. Prayers with those who are injured," PM Modi tweeted.
He assured that the situation was being monitored continuously and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal was in the city taking stock of the situation.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh called up Maharashtra Education Minister Vinod Tawde to enquire about the tragedy and offered all possible central assistance to the state government.
"The state government will give a compensation of Rs.500,000 to the families of the dead and full free treatment to all the injured. We have also ordered a probe into the circumstances leading to the massive tragedy," Tawde told mediapersons.
Meanwhile, Goyal who took charge earlier this month, reached Mumbai to launch scores of new suburban train services for Western Railway and Central Railway as well as the Harbour Line.
Following the incident, Goyal cancelled his inauguration plans.
The Railway Board has already announced its own inquiry into the tragedy.
Tawde said Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who is currently on a tour of South Korea and Singapore, has been apprised of the incident.
The victims comprised 18 males and four females while 23 men and nine women were injured and undergoing treatment, according to the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corp (BMC) Disaster Control.