Panneerselvam is likely successor of Jayalalithaa in AIADMK
Chennai: As Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa is battling for life in Apollo hospital in Chennai, the AIADMK legislators have decided to endorse the name of O Panneerselvam as her successor, if the situation arises.
Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa is very critical and is admitted to Apollo Hospital in Chennai after a cardiac arrest the MLAs were in a huddle over the future course of the party.
The MLAs will meet at 1800 hours on Monday to achieve a consensus over Panneerselvam’s name.
About O Panneerselvam:
- O Panneerselvam was born into the Maravar caste, a sub-caste of Thevars community that belonged to Tamil Nadu.
- In the late 1980s, he started PV canteen, a small shop tea shop in his native district.
- Panneerselvam is considered close to Jayalalithaa’s confidante Sasikala and had helped Sasikala’s nephew TTV Dhinakaran win an assembly seat in 1999 through his election strategies.
- He was made the Chief Minister in 2001 for a few months and later for a few months in 2014, following court decisions against Jayalalithaa.
- He was made the opposition leader after the AIADMK lost in year 2006.
- He has been a cabinet minister in every government headed by Jayalalithaa since 2001.
- The leader also publicly prostrated before Jayalalithaa ahead of presenting the annual budget as the Finance Minister.
Meanwhile Dr Richard Beale who had flown down from London to supervise her health, said that her condition was 'extremely grave'. “The lady is now on the most advanced support,” stated the doctor.