Rs 450cr Scam: Opposition seeks Rijiju's resignation; he calls it 'cheap'
New Delhi: Opposition parties on Tuesday demanded the resignation of Union Minister Kiren Rijiju after the story of an alleged scam of Rs 450 crore for construction of dams surfaced in the media.
Rijiju, however, called the story 'planted' against him and even said that they would be thrashed with shoes once they visit to Arunachal Pradesh.
Claims of the Newspaper:
- BJP leader had penned letters to to clear payments of contractors constructing two dams for the 600MW Kameng Hydro Electric Project in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The project has been executed by the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Ltd (Neepco)
- Chief Vigilence Officer was quoted as saying that a scam exists in the Arunachal Pradesh hydro project.
Opposition demanded his resignation:
- Congress leader Randeep Surjewala said that Rijiju has no right to remain on his post. PM Modi, who talks about transparency and good governance, must ensure a thorough probe in the matter by an independent agency.
- Congress also claimed that Vehicles that were used for transportation for which payment worth crores of rupees was made were actually found to be carrying registration numbers of either scooters or motorcycles or cars instead of heavy trucks. Many of the vehicle numbers were found to be fake.
- Rijiju's brother Goboi Rijiju was influencing the CVO to release the payments of contractors who were under question.
- AAP Leader Ashish Khetan tagged it a serious matter and said that Rijiju should immediately resign after being exposed in a multi-crore scam.
What Rijiju said?
- The allegations against me are really cheap.
- It is a planted story against me.
- I received several photographs and letters from the people of Arunachal Pradesh.
- I have sent all those to Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal.
- Does serving people and helping poor mean corruption?
- Congress must apologise to the nation. All contract works & payments were made during their regime. I just forwarded a memorandum.