NDA introduces Adhaar Bill with stronger privacy norms
The move of NDA government to improve Adhaar, as said by the first chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), would be the most stringent law on privacy till date in India. The new bill is said to be stronger than the Original Bill with much strict privacy protection ever provided in India.
- The new Adhaar bill, 2016 clearly specifies that the biometric information captured will be used only for Adhaar Enrollment and Authentication.
- The information taken will niether be published nor displayed publically and will not be used for any other purpose.
- The Authority cannot reveal the biometric information to any institution requesting authentication for a specific purpose .
- The only exception to the privacy of the Adhaar Bill would be the reason of National Security.
- An individual's information will only be revealed if Joint Secretary of Central Government issues such direction in the interest of National Security.