PHOTOS: PM Modi pays tribute to Paika Rebellion martyrs in Bhubneshwar
Today, the history was recalled with pride.It is my honour to see the descendants of martyrs.Unfortunately, the long years of freedom movement was confined in few persons and specific period.
Bhubneshwar: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday paid tribute to the descendants of historical Paika martyrs, who undertook an armed rebellion against the British rulers in Odisha in 1817.
PM Modi felicitated the families of freedom fighters at Raj Bhawan in Bhubaneshwar in presence of Governor SC Jamir.
What did the PM say:
- Today, the history was recalled with pride.
- It is my honour to see the descendants of martyrs.
- Unfortunately, the long years of freedom movement was confined in few persons and specific period.
- We should recall the events and contribution of everyone who participated in the freedom struggle.
- Odisha secured the top position for its immense contribution for freedom movement.
Who were Paika rebellions:
- The Paikas were land-owning community which revolted against the British for taking over their rent-free land in 1803.
- The revolt was led by Bakshi Jagabandhu and raged for over one and a half years before it was crushed by the British.
The Prime Minister also visited the Lingaraj temple and offered prayers there.
In slides ahead: Pictures of PM Modi’s visit to Lingaraj Temple…