Manish Sisodia and Rahul Gandhi detained at a police station
According to the family members of the retired serviceman he went to meet the Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to hand over the letter to him but was denied permission. His family now wants the government to fulfil the demands that Mr Grewal had made in a petition that he planned to hand over to Defence Minister
New Delhi: The Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia along with the Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi has been detained by police after he attempted to enter Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in the national capital to meet the family of a retired Army man who allegedly committed suicide. An Aam Adami Party me4mber of Parliament has also been detained.
According to the sources present at the scene, “the Dy CM and an AAP MP were bundled into a bus and taken away when they tried to enter the hospital.
What the Delhi police said:
The police accused that the politicians were obstructing hospital work. "Delhi Police will not allow any obstruction at a hospital. They were making speeches. Leaders should understand they can't do politics here," a police officer said.
Arvind Kejriwal tweets attacking PM Modi:
- The Delhi CM Kejriwal also supported Sisodia and took to the microblogging site twitter Twitter to attack PM Narendra Modi.
- "Manish Sisodia detained? He had gone to meet family of deceased Ram Kishan ji. He is elected Dy CM. What is wrong with you Modiji? So insecure?" tweeted Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, who was expected to arrive at the hospital soon.
- It may be recalled that Subedar Ram Kishen Grewal had poisoned himself at Jantar Mantar on Tuesday last. The suicide note revealed thatthe jawan was upset over not receiving the increased pension promised to him by the government under the OROP scheme that was implemented last year.
- According to the family members of the retired serviceman he went to meet the Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar to hand over the letter to him but was denied permission. His family now wants the government to fulfil the demands that Mr Grewal had made in a petition that he planned to hand over to Defence Minister.
You may also Read: DGMO to meet Pak counterpart for release of Indian soldier
What Parrikar said:
- Mr Parrikar's office officials, however, said that they had received no request from the Army veteran for an appointment with the minister.
- The Defence Minister said that he has ordered the enquiry into the matter.
- "Saddened by the death of Subedar Ram Kishan Grewal. I express my heartfelt condolences. I have asked for officials to provide me details." Parrikar said.