Shocking: man kills 14 members of family with knife near Mumbai
Mumbai: In an extremely shocking case, a 35-year-old man allegedly murdered 14 members of his own family, including seven children, with a butchering knife before hanging himself to death at Thane, 32kms from Mumbai, on Sunday.
“The assailant has been identified as Hasnin Anwar Warekar who worked as a chartered accountant in a private company of Mumbai and used to reside with his family in a single story Bungalow on Ghodbunder road (National Highway 42) in Thane,” police said.
The attack was made after the family members gathered at one of their abodes in Thane for a family function on Saturday night. Warekar committed suicide after slitting the throats of all other family members including his parents.
- Warekar’s 21-year-old sister, the sole survivor of the attack, was rushed to the hospital after neighbours heard her screeching for help and alerted the police.
- It is alleged that Warekar attacked his family after secretly blending a sedative with their food.
- “We still have not been able to speak with the attackers sister as she is in deep trauma at a city hospital,” police said.
- Warekar stabbed the victims after they fell asleep, having all decided to spend the night at the house.
- “Prima facie evidences suggest that the accused bolted each door and window of the house and murdered his family, while they were sleeping, with a knife that we found near his body,” Ashutosh Dumbre, joint commissioner of Thane police, was quoted saying.
- Dumbre also said that the details of the attack are ‘still sketchy’ along with the motive.