India successfully test fires two-tier interceptor missile system AAD
New Delhi: India on Wednesday successfully test fired the Advanced Air Defence (AAD) Missile, the two-tier interceptor missile system that can destroy enemy ballistic missiles.
The test took place around 10.15 a.m. at the Abdul Kalam island off Odisha, officials said.
- AAD is part of the two-layered Ballistic Missile Defence system
- It has been developed by the the research and development wing of the Defence Ministry, DRDO along with the Hyderabad-based Research Centre Imaarat (RCI).
- On February 11, India had successfully tested the Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) interceptor missile.
About the Missile:
- PDV can destroy a hostile ballistic missile in space, before entering the earth's atmosphere.
- The 7.5 meters long AAD is a single stage solid rocket propelled guided missile, with a navigation system.
- The second level of the system is the endo-atmosphere AAD missile.