Discriminated, Dalit man digs well for his entire community
Nagpur: His achievement may not be equivalent to that of Dashrath Manjhi, the Mountain Man, but his spirit is equally courageous. The insult to his wife as she was refused to fetch water from the well by the owner made him so determined that Bapurao Tajne dug a well all by himself, a job that is normally done by 4-5 people.
- Tajne is a poor labourer of Kalambeshwar village of Washim district.
- He devoted six hours daily for 40 days until he struck water.
- People thought him to be crazy.
- " I feel that the owner insulted us because we are poor and Dalits. I came home that day in March and almost cried. I resolved never to beg for water from anybody. I went to Malegaon (the closest town) and bought tools and within an hour I started digging,"said Tajne.
- Tajne wanted to provide water for entire locality so that dalits did not have to beg for water from other caste.
- The labourer was graduate.