Gauri Lankesh murder cannot be tolerated : Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Expressing shock and grief over the murder of senior Kannada weekly tabloid editor and social activist Gauri Lankesh, Congress President Sonia Gandhi, on Wednesday, said that this disappointing incident cannot and should not be tolerated.
"Known for her fearless and independent views, Gauri Lankesh had extraordinary grit and determination to take on the system," an All India Congress Committee (AICC) statement said quoting Gandhi.
What else Sonia Gandhi stated?
- The series of killings of rationalists, freethinkers and journalists in the country has created an atmosphere that dissent, ideological differences and divergence of views can endanger our lives. This can not be and should not be tolerated.
- It is an extremely sad moment for our democracy and a chilling reminder of the fact that intolerance and bigotry is raising its ugly head in our society.
- Condemning the debilitating attack, the Congress stands as one with the rationalists, thinkers, journalists and the media fraternity.
- I had spoken to Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and urged him to swiftly bring the culprits to book.
- Every possible measure should be taken to maintain a safe and secure atmosphere in the state.
Expressing her deepest condolences to the family and friends of Lankesh, Gandhi offered her prayers.
Lankesh was shot dead by unidentified assailants at her residence in Bengaluru on Tuesday.