BRICS film festival starts today, MoS Rathore to inaugurate the event
The ministry for Information and Broadcasting said, the idea of organising BRICS film festival was given by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the last BRICS summit. “The PM had proposed BRICS film festival and film awards to increase the cultural connectivity between the member nations,” stated the ministry officials
New Delhi: The Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, will inaugurate the first BRICS film festival in the national capital, New Delhi, on Friday. The festival is said to be a notable event preceding the BRICS summit to the held in Goa in October.
The film festival would be a five day event which will act as a platform for member countries’ film industry people to explore areas of co-operation in cinema, culture and cuisine.
The BRICS film festival:
- The festival is meant to celebrate the excellence of cinema by rewarding film makers, actors, producers and directors from different cultures.
- As many as twenty films are scheduled to be screened during the course of the festival.
- The opening film would be the world premiere of a Malyalam movie, Veeram, a Jayaraj Rajshekharan Nair directorial, starring Kunal Kapoor.
- The BRICS film festival will feature the Jackie Chan starrer ‘Skiptrace’ in its closing ceremony. The movie is directed by Renny Harlin.
- The festival will also have a competitive section and each member country will nominate four films showcasing creative talent from selected themes.
- Films will be judged by an eminent jury comprising of one noted film maker of each member country.
- The jury will give their recommendation for an award based on different aspects of the films.
- The award will include a BRICS Gold Medal and certificate of excellence under several categories.
What officials stated:
- The ministry for Information and Broadcasting said, the idea of organising BRICS film festival was given by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the last BRICS summit.
- “The PM had proposed BRICS film festival and film awards to increase the cultural connectivity between the member nations,” stated the ministry officials.
- The ministry officials said that the festival will ensure more people to people contact between member countries, especially youth.