Bihar Flood: Death toll rises to 153; Over 4 lakh people evacuated
Patna: With floods claiming 34 more lives Bihar in the last 24 hours, the death toll in the state rose to 153 on Friday, officials said. The flood situation remains grim in 15 districts, affecting millions.
A Bihar Disaster Management Department official said a total of 108 lakh people spread over 1,688 panchayats had been affected by the floods.
According to an official release, the floods have claimed 153 lives.
The highest number of 30 deaths have been reported from the worst-hit Araria district, followed by 23 in West Champaran district, 13 in Sitamarhi and 11 each in Supaul, Kishanganj and East Champaran districts.
Officials said 464,610 people have been evacuated to safer places by the Army and other rescued teams during the last five days. The government has set up 1,289 relief camps in the flood-hit district where a total of 392,654 people have taken shelter.
With major rivers in spate and breaching banks, inundating fresh areas and displacing thousands since Thursday night, houses have been destroyed, buildings damaged and bridges and roads besides standing crops worth crores of rupees have been severely hit.
An official said there was little hope of the situation improving in the coming days.
- Meet the world's 'oldest dog living' a 22-year-old Toy Fox Terrier named Pebbles
- 'Over 88% adults in India fully vaccinated against Covid'
- PM inaugurates Nano Urea Plant in Gandhinagar
- IndiGo fined Rs 5L for not boarding special needs child
- This is not the Virat Kohli we know: Virender Sehwag breaks silence on RCB batters' slump in form
- 8 years of Modi govt: From Statue of unity to Lord Hanuman's statue, Iconic statues unveiled by PM
- Laal Singh Chaddha Trailer: Aamir Khan enjoys Pani Puri, hosts preview ahead of releasing it at IPL 2022 Final
- Shah Rukh Khan's Mannat's new nameplate worth Rs 25 lakh goes missing? Here's the truth
- India's daily cases over 2,000-mark for 5th time this week: Today's 8 Covid updates
- Alia Bhatt cries 'happy tears' as she reacts to Ranbir Kapoor cradling a baby: 'This video is a full vibe'