AISA, ABVP student groups clash in Ramjas college, many injured
The officials stated, "As many as 15 students and some journalists were injured. Delhi University’s English professor Dr Prasanta Chakravarty received serious injuries and was rushed to the Hindu Rao hospital
New Delhi: The Ramjas college in the national capital saw violent clashes between two student groups after the college cancelled an invitation to JNU students Umar Khalid and Shehla Rashid Shora. The violence broke out between the Left-wing backed All India Students Association (AISA) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-affiliated Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), on Wednesday last.
The clashes turned out to such serious situation that police had to crack down on the agitating students, who were detained after a four-hour-long drama outside the college campus.
The officials stated, "As many as 15 students and some journalists were injured. Delhi University’s English professor Dr Prasanta Chakravarty received serious injuries and was rushed to the Hindu Rao hospital."
- The violence erupted when hundreds of students from Ramjas and other colleges reached the campus, from where they were to take out a protest march to the Maurice Nagar police station on Wednesday.
- The students were demanding action against ABVP, over the ruckus created by them on Tuesday last.
- A large number of students got into a scuffle.
- The ABVP had almost blocked the college.
- A large contingent of police was deployed outside the college to maintain law and order even.
What students said:
- They are threatening that no march out of the college will be allowed.
- They also locked down some students and teachers inside college premises and threatened AISA members when they tried to rescue the teachers.
- While ABVP members cracked down on AISA, the Delhi police stood as mute spectators.
- Female students were also beaten up by ABVP members and the Delhi police.
- There is no law in the University of Delhi the administration is maintaining a deafening silence.
- Teachers have been repeatedly threatened.
- Some of the students were told that they would face the consequence for showing solidarity with the protesting students.
- The ABVP, however, said, that they did not want to turn DU into another JNU.
- These protesting students were shouting anti-national slogans at the campus.
- Some ABVP members were also thrashed by the AISA members.
- Students were silently protesting there and the police cracked down on us. They did not even file an FIR against the ABVP goons.
What Dependra Pathak, Special Commissioner of Police (Southwest), said:
- An FIR has been registered against unknown persons.
- The police will identify the accused who were creating a ruckus and hurting other people.
- Eight policemen, including Station House Officer of Maurice Nagar (North Delhi), Arti Sharma, suffered injuries.
- The SHO sustained an injury on her right ear.
- We will identify the culprits and take appropriate action.