Exclusive: central agencies rue non-cooperation of UP govt against black money
Furthermore, it reeks of some conspiracy on the part of state government, manily the police, that IT department has been of the view that in one case, the targeted party may have prior leak of the raid. None of the UP government official is willing to speak on this despite repeated efforts by the 'newstrack.com team'
Lucknow: Quite predictably, the ruling Samajwadi Party government in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh has been opposing the demonetisation move by the Centre tooth and nail but more seriously the 'dubious' role of state police machinery has left the central agencies, trying to dig out black money, in a jiffy.
On more than a couple of occasions, the state police including the state capital police hierarchy has been 'non-cooperative' with these agencies including the Income Tax department and Enforcement Directorate foiling their attempts to unearth the unaccounted money despite the definite tip--offs and their intelligence inputs. So much so, that the Income Tax department in Uttar Pradesh had to lodge complaint with the concerned authorities crying hoarse over the role of state set up.
Shockingly, this attitude was witnessed after the IT officials duly informed the Chief Minister office about the involvement of some bureaucrats in accumulation of black money seeking prompt action against them. not only, the action from the state government was not forthcoming on the action side but denied cooperation with the central agencies much to their disappointment, a highly placed IT official told 'newstrack.com'.
Furthermore, it reeks of some conspiracy on the part of state government, manily the police, that IT department has been of the view that in one case, the targeted party may have prior leak of the raid. None of the UP government official is willing to speak on this despite repeated efforts by the 'newstrack.com team.
No help from SSP and DGP
- Giving an instance of the raids on December 15 last conducted at Neelkanth Sweets, the prominent business group of Lucknow, a senior official, on the condition of anonymity, alleged that Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Manzil Saini ignored several phone calls made to it after police did not reach the residence of Deshraj Agrawal, a businessman accused of converting black money into white.
- Income Tax officials were stopped at the main gate of residence by the goons of businessman.
- The official said that calls were also made to UP Director General of Police (DGP) Javeed Ahmad for help but the raiding body received lacklustre response.
- The official informed that it took too much time to reach inside the residence of the businessman and as a result, empty boxes of jewellery were recovered from the lockers clearly indicative of the stuff was removed just before the raid.
- Sources from the Income Tax department said that several bureaucrats, officials and big businessmen, who are involved in money laundering post demonetisation, are still roaming free though the department has definite information about them.
Sources said that keeping in view the upcoming assembly elections in the state, it is important to bring them on books but it is not possible without proper support from the Uttar Pradesh government.
The IT official went on to say that they are likely to take up the matter with the Central government in an earnest manner because without the support of local police, the raids on the wealthy and mighty are not possible.