Happy Birthday Chaplin: Overcame sorrow to spread smiles!
Lucknow: The most beloved comedian Charlie Chaplin although is no more between us, but has left the world remembering him always with a smile on face.
As April 16 marks the birth anniversary of the world famous comedian, newztrack.com brings you some exciting facts about him.
- Born on April 16, 1889 in London, Charlie Spencer Chaplin was a son of versatile vocalist and actor Charles Chaplin and his mother Hannah Chaplin was an attractive actress and singer.
- Considered as the most important figure in the history of film industry, Chaplin has been the definition and benchmark of comedy in world.
- When Charlie was 10, he and his brother were left alone to fend for themselves as his father died and his mother was sent to mental asylum.
Chaplin's great work has made the world laugh, cry and feel for more than a century and is still remembered in everyone's heart. Chaplin was the one who shared millions of priceless advice over the span of life and his comic timing and acting is known and appreciated by everyone.
Some quick facts about Chaplin:
- Charlie was the first actor to appear on times magazine on July 6, 1925.
- Chaplin signed a contract with mutual Film Corporation for $10000 per week and also received offers from Universal, Vitagraph and Fox.
- The life of Chaplin spanned the period in history when there was massive change across the world, including the first and second world war.
- He won the non-honorary Academy Award (Oscar) in 1929. He also won the Best Music Oscar for 'Limelite', a film he made 21 years earlier.
- He purposely avoided dialogue in two "talkies". The actor did not talk in these two movies, relying instead on the music score to set the tones for movies.
- Chaplin was fond of young wives and married 4 times. He was 29 and his first wife was 16 when they married, his second wife was too 16 when he was 35 and Charlie at 47 married to lady aged 28 and lastly married to a girl of 18 year when he was 54.
- Chaplin was ordered to pay $75 per week for child support to actress Joan Berry as she claimed that the baby to whom she gave birth was Charlie's son.
- Three months after the comedian died, his corpse was stolen on Christmas, 1997 in an effort to extort money from his wife Oona Chaplin
- His body was recovered after 11 weeks when the grave robbers were captured and he was again buried under 6 feet of concrete.
- Geraldine Chaplin, daughter of Charlie and his fourth wife Oona portrayed the role of Hannah Chaplin, Charlie's mother in a movie based on his life.