Last singer of Tansen family:Ustad Rashid Khan no more
Lucknow: Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan , the last descendent of the family of legendary Tansen, was buried in Salon town of Rae Bareli district in Uttar Pradesh on Friday. He had breathed his last at a ripe age of 108 in Kolkata on Thursday and his body was brought to his native place for burial.
- Rashid Khan attended more than 3000 thousands concerts and also performed on stage around 2000 times during his extraordinary music career.
- Born in a respectable family of Gwalior Gharana, he was trained under his father Chote Yusuf Khan and Uncle Bade Yusuf Khan.
- They made him do riaz for around 10 hours a day which was continued till 22 years . He was permitted to perform on stage only after he attained the age of 30.
- Magic of his voice was spread in more than 22 king's court.
- In 1991, he was invited to train at I.T.C. Sangeet Research University, Kolkata where he taught for 25 years.
- Rashid Khan's compositions were recorded by BBC and Iraq Radio. His more than 1500 compositons are kept at I.T.C Sangeet University
- Rashid Khan's grandson Ustad Bilal Khan told 'newztrack.com' that Ustad Dada Rashid was so strong a singer that no one dared to stand around him.
- He used to offer namaz five-times a day.
- He had to be hospitalized for three months when someone mixed mercury in his food.
- He recovered but had to face the effect of mercury for his entire life.