Dr Vijay P Bhatkar appointed as the new chancellor of Nalanda University
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee appointed Dr.Vijay P Bhatkar as the new chancellor of Nalanda University on Friday. Dr Bhatkar was appointed six weeks after the post had fallen vacant following the resignation of George Yeu on November 25.
Dr. Bhatkar will hold the post for three years under Section 11 (3) of the Nalanda University Act.
About Dr Vijay P Bhatkar:
- He is a computer scientist and the national President of Vigyan Bharti ( a science body of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh).
- Bhatkar served as the IT Task Force under former Prime Minister Atal Vihari Vajpayee.
- He developed the nation's first supercomputer, the Param 8000 in 1991 and Param 10,000 in 1998.
- He has been honoured with Padam Shri and maharashtra Bhushan Awards.
- He also received Padma Bhushan award by the President of India on April8, 2015.
Nalanda University is located in Rajgir near Nalanda in Bihar https://dvakotla.com.ua/. The first academic session of the university was started on September 1, 2014 with 15 students including 5 women.