Rupee skids 13 paise to 73.51 against US dollar in early trade
The rupee depreciated 13 paise to 73.51 against the US dollar in opening trade on Tuesday tracking muted domestic equities.
Mumbai: The rupee depreciated 13 paise to 73.51 against the US dollar in opening trade on Tuesday tracking muted domestic equities.
At the interbank forex market, the rupee opened on a weak note at 73.50, then fell further to 73.51, registering a fall of 13 paise over its last close.
The rupee strengthened by 7 paise to close at 73.38 against the US dollar on Monday.
"Most of the Asian currencies have started marginally weak this Monday and could weigh on sentiments," Reliance Securities said in a research note.
Markets could also track weakness in the equities. Most Asian equities have started on a negative note on global risk aversion, it added.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.14 per cent to 93.52.
On the domestic equity market front, the 30-share BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 290.04 points lower at 37,744.10 and broader NSE Nifty slipped 95.10 points to 11,155.45.
Foreign institutional investors were net sellers in the capital market as they offloaded shares worth Rs 539.81 crore on Monday, according to provisional exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 0.46 per cent to USD 41.63 per barrel.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava