Rupee settles 16 paise lower at 73.29 against US dollar
The rupee depreciated by 16 paise to close at 73.29 (provisional) against the US dollar on Monday even as the domestic equity market was trading with significant gains.
Mumbai: The rupee depreciated by 16 paise to close at 73.29 (provisional) against the US dollar on Monday even as the domestic equity market was trading with significant gains.
The Indian currency opened at 73.16 at the interbank forex market and touched an intra-day high of 73.08 and a low of 73.41 against the greenback.
It finally settled for the day at 73.29, down 16 paise over its last close of 73.13 a dollar.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell 0.17 per cent to 93.68.
On the domestic equity market front, the BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 348.68 points higher at 39,045.73, and the broader NSE Nifty rose 95.40 points to 11,512.35.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market as they purchased shares worth Rs 1,632.25 crore on a net basis on Thursday, according to provisional exchange data.
Forex and equity markets were closed on Friday on account of Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 2.16 per cent to USD 40.12 per barrel.
- LPG cylinder prices: Domestic, commercial gas prices hiked again, check out
- PM Narendra Modi delighted about India's participation at Cannes Film Festival 2022; Calls it a 'milestone'
- GUDS eWHEELERS in Lucknow is set to Revolutionize Personal Mobility with India's first eWheelers Smart Mobility Hub
- '265 Ukrainian soldiers surrendered at Azovstal'
- Gyanvapi mosque case: Varanasi court removes commissioner
- Gyanvapi live: Seal area where 'Shivling' found but prayers shouldn't be hindered, says SC
- Bada Mangal 2022: Story of Bade Mangal in Lucknow, what is its relation to Hanuman; All you need to know
- Baghpat News: Rakesh Tikait breaks silence; blames BJP for rift in BKU
- As deadline ends, Gyanvapi survey official to seek more time from UP court
- Covid-19 fourth wave: India reports 1,569 fresh cases, 19 deaths in past 24 hours