Rupee jumps 32 paise to 75.04 against US dollar in early trade
The rupee appreciated 32 paise to 75.04 against the US dollar in early trade on Wednesday tracking positive domestic equities and gains in Asian currencies amid weakness in the greenback.
Mumbai: The rupee appreciated 32 paise to 75.04 against the US dollar in early trade on Wednesday tracking positive domestic equities and gains in Asian currencies amid weakness in the greenback.
Forex traders said heavy buying in domestic equity market, sustained foreign fund inflows and upbeat risk appetite supported the rupee.
The rupee opened on a strong note at 75.04 at the interbank forex market, up 32 paise over its last close.
It had settled at 75.36 against the US dollar on Tuesday.
"Most Asian currencies have started with gains against the US Dollar this morning and could lend support to the domestic currency," Reliance Securities said in a research note.
Forex traders said global risk sentiment is holding up as coronavirus curve seems to plateau in western countries.
"Overall risk sentiment is positive. So far there are no signs of a second wave despite economies opening up in Europe and the US. The new cases curve seems to be plateauing," said Abhishek Goenka, Founder and CEO IFA Global.
The number of cases around the world linked to the disease has crossed 63.78 lakh and the death toll has topped 3.80 lakh.
Meanwhile, in India, the death toll due to COVID-19 rose to 5,815 and the number of the number of infections rose to 2,07,615, according to the health ministry.
On the equities front, the 30-share BSE benchmark Sensex was quoting 361.71 points higher at 34,187.24 and broader Nifty rose 107.80 points to 10,086.90.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market, as they bought equity shares worth Rs 7,498.29 crore on Tuesday, according to provisional exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 1.04 per cent to USD 39.98 per barrel.
The dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, fell by 0.28 per cent to 97.39.
- PM Narendra Modi delighted about India's participation at Cannes Film Festival 2022; Calls it a 'milestone'
- GUDS eWHEELERS in Lucknow is set to Revolutionize Personal Mobility with India's first eWheelers Smart Mobility Hub
- '265 Ukrainian soldiers surrendered at Azovstal'
- Gyanvapi mosque case: Varanasi court removes commissioner
- Gyanvapi live: Seal area where 'Shivling' found but prayers shouldn't be hindered, says SC
- Bada Mangal 2022: Story of Bade Mangal in Lucknow, what is its relation to Hanuman; All you need to know
- Baghpat News: Rakesh Tikait breaks silence; blames BJP for rift in BKU
- As deadline ends, Gyanvapi survey official to seek more time from UP court
- Covid-19 fourth wave: India reports 1,569 fresh cases, 19 deaths in past 24 hours
- Gyanvapi Mosque Row: Asaduddin Owaisi opposes survey, says 'lost Babri Masjid, don't want to lose another'