Rupee ends 7 paise lower against US dollar
The rupee depreciated 7 paise to close at 73.61 (provisional) against the US dollar on Friday even as the domestic equity market was trading with significant gains.
Mumbai: The rupee depreciated 7 paise to close at 73.61 (provisional) against the US dollar on Friday even as the domestic equity market was trading with significant gains.
At the interbank forex market, the local unit opened weak at 73.62 against the US dollar and remained stressed for majority of the session before closing at 73.61, a loss of 7 paise over its previous close.
During the session, the local unit witnessed an intra-day high of 73.46 and a low of 73.67 against the US dollar.
It had settled at 73.54 against the greenback in the previous session on Thursday.
According to forex dealers, positive sentiment in the domestic equity market and weakness in US dollar overseas restricted the rupee's fall.
Rahul Gupta, Head of Research- Currency, Emkay Global Financial Services said, As we get close to the US election day, uncertainty over the outcome will keep USD-INR spot afloat.
We expect 73.40 to act as an immediate support, only a break will weigh towards 73.20 zone, while, 73.90-74 will act as an immediate resistance.
On the domestic equity market front, BSE benchmark Sensex was trading 151.26 points higher at 40,709.75 and the broader NSE Nifty rose 45.25 points to 11,941.70.
Meanwhile, the dollar index, which gauges the greenback's strength against a basket of six currencies, was trading 0.21 per cent lower at 92.75.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers in the capital market as they purchased shares worth Rs 1,118.46 crore on Thursday, according to exchange data.
Brent crude futures, the global oil benchmark, rose 0.28 per cent to USD 42.34 per barrel.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava