Sensex starts over 170 pts higher; Nifty tests 11,900
Mumbai Equity benchmark BSE Sensex opened over 170 points higher on Tuesday tracking gains in index-heavyweights RIL, Bharti Airtel, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and Infosys.
After hitting a high of 40,455.36 in early session, the 30-share index pared some gains to trade 58.59 points, or 0.15 per cent, higher at 40,342.78, while the broader NSE Nifty advanced 14 points, or 0.12 per cent, to 11,898.50.
Top gainers in the Sensex pack included Bharti Airtel, Tech Mahindra, RIL, Axis Bank, PowerGrid, Infosys, Yes Bank and HDFC Bank, rising up to 5 per cent.
On the other hand, Vednata, HUL, Hero MotoCorp, M&M, TCS, ONGC and Tata Steel fell up to 2 per cent.
On Monday, the Sensex ended 72.50 points, or 0.18 per cent, down at 40,284.19. Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty slipped 10.95 points, or 0.09 per cent, to end at 11,884.50.
Foreign institutional investors offloaded shares worth Rs 270.66 crore in the capital market in the previous session, while domestic institutional investors purchased equities worth Rs 309.45 crore, data available with stock exchange showed.
Globally, bourses in Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul and Tokyo were trading on a mixed note amid uncertainty over US-China trade deal.
On the currency front, the rupee depreciated 10 paise (intra-day) against the US dollar to trade at 71.94 in early session.
Brent futures, the global oil benchmark, slipped 0.22 per cent to USD 62.30 per barrel.
- Monkeypox virus disease outbreak: New cases 'only tip of iceberg' but no urgent need for mass vaccinations, says WHO
- Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah actress Disha Vakani aka Daya ben blessed with a baby boy
- Don't make them dirty: Kejriwal's appeal as he flags off 150 e-buses for Delhi
- 'Tears in my eyes': Kejriwal lauds Punjab CM for sacking 'corrupt' minister
- Traders protest against removal of encroachment near Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi in Mathura
- Amidst pressure from China, Quad leaders meeting in Tokyo; America, Japan, Australia and India are participating
- Rules bar worship at 'non-living places', says govt over namaz at Qutub Minar
- Sensex opens 88 points above in early deals, trades at 54,376; Nifty above 16,240-mark
- Box Office: Yash starrer KGF 2 breaks existing records of Kannada films in Canada
- Meet the Top Teachers of the World: Super 30's Anand Kumar and Mathematics Guru RK Srivastava